Monday, August 15, 2011

I am just like you.

Every single day of my life I'm blessed and every single day I'm grateful. But today I feel guilty.

The charity I work for has these little vouchers that we give to the homeless to tell them about our services and let them know they have somewhere to go. I keep them in my purse and have annoyed the crap out of my girlfriends on many occasions by stopping and chatting with a homeless person who's passing us by. One time we were all having cocktails and dinner after work and I carried on a 20 minute conversation with a homeless man through the restaurant window. My girlfriends were not thrilled. It's not that they don't care. It's just that they're not used to it. And I suppose my actions kind of bring it front and center without giving them time to acclimate.

I've said it before and I"ll say it again: you don't have to give them money. You just have to acknowledge them. I acknowledge them by having a conversation, letting them know I care and giving them somewhere to go and get a shower, a bed, and a hot meal. That's what the voucher is all about.

This last Friday I was so lucky to have some girlfriends come in to town to take me to a concert. I love Adele and my friend Piper was sweet enough to get tickets. As we were walking up to the Paramount for the concert we passed a homeless man on the street. While I would normally stop, this time I didn't. Something tugged at my heart as I passed but I didn't stop. I turned and looked behind me. I saw that his sign said he was a veteran. I still didn't stop.

I don't know why I didn't stop. My heart told me to. I KNEW I needed to. But I didn't. I did what everyone else does and that makes me a hypocrite. I feel incredibly guilty. We were rushing to the venue and that took precedence in my mind at that moment. What should have been important was the well being of another person. I failed myself that night.

Our charity designates 6 beds a night to veterans specifically. He could have been in one that night.

I feel like a horrible, selfish person.

And I feel like crying.

So today I'm saying this to you as well as myself (if anyone is reading this): Don't assume you need to do it all to make a difference. But do what you know you are capable of and no less.


No comments:

Post a Comment