Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The loss of a child

It never fails to amaze me how many of our clients' stories are just simply tragic. Growing up I always thought that the majority of homeless people are drug addicted felons who choose to be on the streets. Really, that's the exception to the rule...at least, amongst our clientele. Every single person I've met here has been kind, grateful, intelligent, giving... They genuinely struggle with something emotionally and just need some help to break out of that and get back on their feet.

Nearly every single one of our men had some sort of major "event" that caused a terrible spiral effect on their lives. You'd have to be inhuman not to sympathize.

David
48
From Queens, NY
Loves playing the guitar, skiing, and bowling.

"Before I was homeless I had a job and a nice place to live. Things were pretty good. I was divorced and raising my 4 year old son. I lost him in a car accident and, unfortunately, that led to a depression that I covered with medicating myself with alcohol and drugs. Inevitably, I lost my job and then my home.

For a long time I wallowed in the depression over the loss of my son, covering the pain with alcohol and drugs. Today, I am still homeless and jobless, but I have learned to live with my struggles without alcohol and drugs and hope soon to get a job and a place and fully regain my life."





No comments:

Post a Comment